SPF (Sender Policy Framework) is an anti-spam technique used by some modern email services to ensure the email they are receiving is really coming from your email server.
An entry is placed on your domains DNS(Domain Name Service) records. This record holds the IP address of the email servers which are authorized to send a legitimate email for your domain. When an email server receives an email, it will look up the IP listed on this record, and will then compare that IP to the IP of the connecting server. If they are different, it will know the connection is not authorized and will terminate the connection. If they match, it will receive the email.
This article describes the process to set up SPF for both Kayako onDemand and Kayako Download.
Setting up SPF for Kayako OnDemand
Add a new TXT record to your email domains DNS record:
- For the internal only mail routing (within the Kayako domain) the SPF record you would need to add to your domains DNS would be:
MyEmailDomain.com. IN TXT "v=spf1 mx include:k1.email.kayako.com ~all"
- For external mail routing (using your domain to send emails outside of Kayako) add your mail servers IP address to your SPF record, failure to do this will result in your mail server not able to send email to servers checking for valid SPF records. For example, if your mail server's IP address was 18.104.22.168, then the resulting SPF record would be:
MyEmailDomain.com. IN TXT "v=spf1 mx ip4:22.214.171.124 include:k1.email.kayako.com ~all"
Setting up SPF for Kayako Download
Add a new TXT record to your email domains DNS record, the record you need to add depends on your mail servers IP address:
- For example, If your email domain is MyEmailDomain.com, and your mail servers IP address was 126.96.36.199 then the SPF record you would need to add to your domains DNS would be:
MyEmailDomain.com. IN TXT "v=spf1 mx ip4:188.8.131.52 ~all"
- Note that if your Kayako server routes email directly, then you would need you to add both the IP of your mail server and your Kayako server, for example:
MyEmailDomain.com. IN TXT "v=spf1 mx ip4:184.108.40.206 ip4:220.127.116.11 ~all"
- Note: If you are unsure of which record to add, please contact our support who can advise you on which record you will need to add. Adding incorrect records will result in emails your sending out, not arriving at the recipient's end.