As a Kayako Classic OnDemand customer, you may require a full database backup or data dump of your Kayako Classic instance which can contain all of the existing conversations and their notes, details of the users registered in your instance, knowledge base articles from the Help Center, and attachments on conversations and articles.
For instance, one can refer to the external article 5 Best Methods: MySQL Export to CSV. However, note that support will not provide any assistance in converting the file from MySQL to CSV.
Since your instance is hosted by Kayako, you need to submit a request to the support team so they can forward it to the SaaS Ops team on your behalf.
- Click the Submit a ticket button at the top of this page or click this submit a request link.
- Provide the details of your request:
- The name of the Kayako Classic OnDemand instance that you are requesting a backup for (e.g. sniper.kayako.com)
- Indicate if you want a database only or a database with attachments extract.
- For security purposes, we put an expiration to the download link and you can tell us in how many days you want the link to expire (max. 7 days). If you do not indicate any expiration time, we will set it at 7 days. Once the download links expire, you will need to request a new Database Backup of your Kayako Classic OnDemand Instance from the support team.
- Please provide one of the following to ensure we are processing the request from an authorized person:
- Send the request using the email associated with the account's billing email address.
- OR a copy of the previously paid invoice. (attached to your ticket)
- OR state the billing email address and mailing address registered on the account.
Once the request has been fulfilled, the agent will provide you with the links or URLs to download the following:
- Database Backup - contains existing tickets and their notes, information of all users registered in your system (email address, profile information, etc), and knowledgebase articles from the Help Center.
- Attachment Backup (if requested) - contains all the attachments that are present in your help desk instance, for both the tickets and knowledge base articles.
Important points to consider
- The customer can request the backup as per their requirement as some customers would need the data backup regularly to adhere to their data policies.
- There is no restriction on the number of times the customer can request backup during a year.
- The backup data will be made available through our Amazon AWS server through an HTTPS link which will expire after 1 to 7 days. The customer data is therefore secured while downloading backup from our server.
- The time required to process the database backup request depends on the size of the instance.
- If the download links for the database backup files expire and the customer still needs the database backup, you will open a new Database Backup request with the Infrastructure Team.
Process for requesting backup
- If a customer requests a full backup of their instance, you can fulfill the request by following the process outlined in the Self-Service Portal for Kayako SaaS Requests article.
- Use the Backup an instance form under the Kayako Classic section to file the request.
The SaaS Ops team will provide the backup file's download links to the customer. The links will expire within 1-7 days, which depends on the expiry period selected when the request was submitted. Please select by default the maximum 7 days (604800 seconds) and inform and remind the customer about this information.
IMPORTANT REMINDER! Before sending the backup URL to the customer, verify that the link is for the intended recipient by examining the URL. From the URL, you should be seeing the customer's domain. (see sample screenshot below)
Note: In some special circumstances when customers require the backup to be generated at a specific time, one can create a Change Request (CR) JIRA for SaaS following the Routing Table guidelines as this would allow you to select a time window for execution. Make sure to include all of the request details and you can use the same runbook as the PRF for the CR.