Emails greater than the size defined in the ‘Email Size Limit’ (header + attachment) settings will not be fetched by the helpdesk. In which case, you may want to set up a rule that sends out notifications to the sender telling them that their email is too large and cannot be processed.
This can be done by creating an email parser rule. This article provides you the steps on how to configure one.
NOTE: There's no feature in Kayako Classic that can trash or discard unprocessed emails residing in your email server. If you have large emails stuck in your mail server, you need to find those emails right in your email server. To help you deal with this issue, see the Problems Fetching or Processing Emails With Large Attachments article.
- Access to the Kayako Classic Admin panel with "insert and update email rules" permission.
To create a parser rule, follow these steps:
- Go to Admin CP > Email Parser > Rules.
- Click the +New button.
- In the General tab, set the following attributes:
- Email rule title - set a unique name for this rule
- Email parser rule enabled - Yes
- Stop processing other rules - Yes, unless you want other email rules to be processed after this one.
- In the criteria section under General, use the Total attachment size > Greater than > 'Size you want to define'. (see sample below)
- NOTE: The email size should be less than the ‘Email Size Limit’ you've set.
- In the Actions tab, select 'Before the email is processed (pre-parse)' in the EMAIL RULE TYPE.
- Enter a customized reply in the 'Reply to the email' section such as the one in the screenshot below.
- Select Yes on the 'Do not process notification rules' option. (see screenshot below)
- Click the +Insert button in the upper left to create the parser rule.